Section 5: Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
- Several months later, Camille calls her physician in a panic
- During protected sexual intercourse the condom broke and she is worried about having infected Julien
Viral load and risk of heterosexual transmission
- Viral load is the chief predictor of the risk of heterosexual transmission of HIV-11
- Transmission is rare when levels <1500 copies/mL1,2
- Studies of heterosexual discordant couples observed no transmission in patients treated with ART and with viral load <400 copies/mL2
- Data were compatible with one transmission per 79 person-years2
- Swiss consensus states: “An HIV-infected person on antiretroviraltherapy with completely suppressed viraemia(“effective ART”) is not sexually infectious”3
1. Quinn TC, et al. N Engl J Med 2000;342:921–29.
2. Attia S, et al. AIDS 2009;23:1397–404.
3. Vernazza P, et al. Bull Med Suisses 2008;89:165–69.